Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ugh...I should stop reading these reports from Sarah's therapists

All of Sarah's therapists are giving me copies of her annual review reports this week. After a little period of greiving when we found out Sarah's diagnosis at 3 months, I made the decision to always focus on the positive and appreciate the things that she can do and not dwell on the things she can't. Even when I post something, it is usually to celebrate something she has done. I am thrilled with her progress so far and she seems to be right on track with the development charts created for children with Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. I understand that sometimes the reports have to focus alot on the negative so we can keep getting the services we have but wow...sometimes they really sting. Her SLP put her skills at just below 10 months. I was a little surprised by that. I haven't received the report from her PT yet but now all the negative thoughts are creeping in. She is almost two and doesn't crawl at all. We've actually given up on crawling because we were just getting nowhere with it. It is making me feel really sad.I hate feeling like this but I just can't seem to shake it now. It's like all the wonderful things she has been doing are canceled out by the fact that her delays are greater now than they were when we started. She was at a 33% delay and now it is 50% for speech. It feels like a slap in the face when I thought things were so good with her.

1 comment:

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

I am sorry you are feeling down, MB. Just keep in mind that the numbers are just numbers and they do NOT take away from the progress that little SarahBeth is making. Moving forward, even inch by inch, is still progress.